Over one million Americans suffer from injuries in a slip and fall accident or a trip and fall accident annually, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Many of these accidents occur in public places. In some cases, the injured person is responsible, since they weren’t looking to see where they were going. Other times, the fall is the result of someone else’s negligence. If you didn’t cause the accident, you shouldn’t have to foot your medical bills alone. Very often, victims need a Philadelphia personal injury lawyer to help them get compensation.
The pain and shock you experience after your fall can make it difficult to think clearly. Since your actions can affect your ability to recover damages, you need to know what to do. In this post, we’ll outline the steps you must take after a slip and fall accident.
The Most Common Slip and Fall Cases
Some falls occur at home or on private property. However, most slip and fall cases take place on public property.
Some of the most common locations are:
- Shopping malls
- Parking lots
- Job sites
- Apartment buildings
Why Slip and Fall Accidents Happen
Slip and fall accidents commonly occur when property owners or managers fail to correct dangerous conditions and/or neglect to warn people about the dangers. Often, these conditions have existed for such a long time that the owner was aware of them. People usually fall due to:
- Wet floors
- Cracked or uneven sidewalks
- Worn steps or missing handrails
- Poorly maintained escalators or elevators
- Damaged flooring
- Scattered debris
- Icy or snowy parking lots
Types of Injury from Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents can lead to many different types of injury. Knowing the types of injuries that may occur will prepare you for when you have to explain your symptoms to a doctor, even those that seem insignificant may be important.
Some of the most common types of injuries include:
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Nerve damage
- Spinal damage
- Shoulder dislocation
- Knee injuries
- Wrist and ankle sprains
Should I File a Slip and Fall Lawsuit?
No matter what type of injury you suffer from, a slip and fall lawsuit is usually a last resort. When you’ve been hurt, your first course of action should be to seek compensation from the at-fault party’s insurance company. If that doesn’t work, you have the option of taking your case to court. Some of the things you can seek compensation for include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disability
- Loss of enjoyment of life
If you are dealing with any of the above, it is best to call a slip and fall lawyer in Philadelphia.
What Should I Do After a Slip and Fall Accident?
After a slip and fall accident, you may want to get up as quickly as possible and leave the scene. However, this is never a good idea. If you want to get compensation for your injuries, you must take certain steps. You should:
- Seek medical treatment. If your injuries are serious, you should go to a hospital immediately. If you don’t require immediate medical attention, you should see a doctor within 72 hours of the accident. Not only is this important for your health, but the doctor’s report will be a vital part of your claim for compensation. Your lawyer and the insurance adjusters will rely on this report when making your case.
- Take photos of the scene. Make sure you capture the unsafe conditions with your phone’s camera. These conditions are often rectified by the property owner or manager immediately after someone gets injured, so you must get the evidence as soon as possible. This helps to prove liability and support what is in your medical report.
- Report your slip and fall accident to the property manager or business owner. However, you shouldn’t give any written or recorded statements before you speak to an attorney. This is so you can avoid making comments that could jeopardize your ability to receive compensation.
- Put together a file with all the relevant documents pertaining to your case. This includes medical bills, records of other expenses related to the accident, proof that you couldn’t work, and communication from the insurance company or property owner.
Call an Expert Slip and Fall Attorney Today
If you want to get all the compensation you are owed following your slip and fall accident, you need to hire the best slip and fall attorneys. When you are unrepresented, insurance companies and business owners think they can take advantage of you. However, victims who have an experienced Philadelphia trial attorney on their side are more likely to get compensation, and the amount received is usually higher. Furthermore, if negotiations fail to result in a fair settlement, you’ll need an attorney to help you file a lawsuit. If you don’t know anything about personal injury law or courtroom procedures, you can kiss your compensation goodbye.
Instead of googling “slip and fall attorneys near me” and hoping for the best, contact Rooney Philly Lawyer for assistance. Our lawyers will work with you to secure the best possible outcome. Our offices are located in Philadelphia, PA, and we serve Bala Cynwyd, Springfield, Upper Darby, and Plymouth Meeting. Schedule your personalized consultation today!